Aperture-Mannschaft arbeitet auf Hochtouren...

Aperture Forum für Neuigkeiten rund um Aperture von Apple
tristan
Exposure Value 7

Aperture-Mannschaft arbeitet auf Hochtouren...

Ungelesener Beitragvon tristan » 03.02.2006, 13:11

Ein Fotograf vom Digital Wedding Forum postete gerade dies von seinem Treffen mit der Aperture-Crew (siehe unten). Man kann nur sagen, wenn Aperture jetzt auch noch in den anderen Bereichen so gut wird wie beim Organisieren, Verwalten und Vergleichen von Bildern wird es ein absolutes und unschlagbares Spitzenprodukt!

"OK, everybody's been asking me, so I'll tell you how it went.

First of all, I compiled all the complaints and requests from you DWF members and handed it to them. They were definitely aware of every single thing on the list and had heard it before, but were interested to hear it again.

Then, we mostly talked about workflow, from shooting to editing to making 4x6 proofs or proofbooks, to the PickPic cart (and I explained other 3rd party systems to them) to slideshows with music, to iPod proofing, to albums. They wanted to know every little darn thing that we do.

They didn't talk much, they mostly listened. So I don't have much to report except that they really listened. They were interested in all my albums, the flushmount, the matted, the Shared Ink. All of it.

For those of you who say "well I tried to talk to Joe Schorr and he blew me off" I have to say that he asked the most pointed and brilliant questions and he is an incredibly smart guy. But like most smart guys he is very intense, so if he blew you off he was probably just concentrating on something else.

Also, I'm not the only person they have brought in. They have started a program where they bring in one photographer at a time to talk to the whole team. They told me who else they brought and I'll just say it was a commercial photographer much more famous than I am.

So I can definitely say, Apple is listening. To everything.

Here's my personal take on Aperture: These are very exciting times. I am a loyal Apple user but I am a loyal Adobe user too. The fierce competition between Lightroom and Aperture can only be good for us photographers. Neither company has ever created a bad software AFAIK. Both of them could probably kick iView, PhotoMechanic, and all the clunky album design softwares off the map. I am very, very excited to see what will come out of this competition.

I think what happened (I hope they don't mind me saying this) is that their first priority was on the image selection process. They decided to make a software that would kick butt in that area because that's what photographers were complaining about. And they did excel there. Also, the idea of versions is brilliant and had never been done before. It is really a space and time saver. But some of Aperture's other features still need to be worked on.

Then Adobe came out with this free Beta of lightroom and it was a genius PR move on their part. So Apple has realized this and is working even harder. From first glance, it does look like Aperture will be the one with more features, and with a better interface.

The things that are problematic, like the RAW conversions, the lack of a color picker, dealing with layered files, and all that-- I think those are easily solved. Apple totally understands that the 1.0 version is just a start and that they have a long way to go before the 3.0 or 4.0 version comes out, which (they hope) will dominate the market.

My initial plan was to wait and watch Aperture and Lightroom battle it out because I never buy the 1.0 version of anything. But now they've asked me to be a beta tester so I get a free copy of Aperture and that also means I can't tell you guys much, so too bad.

I know that some of you are going to ask me about the library. I have to admit that I don't have a good grasp on it because I've never used it. But Joe did very pointedly asked me what the complaints were, and I told him everything I'd read here. For me, I think there's no problem because, for example I already have all my 2005 weddings on one external HD and the 2004 on another and the 2006 weddings on the internal HD. So, I would just make separate libraries for each HD. You can make as many libraries as you want. Sure, I'd have to switch to another library to access 2005 but as it is I have to switch to another HD anyhow, so it's not so different.

But I will know more about this, and many more things, very soon."

Volker Lannert
Exposure Value 1

Hallo Tristan

Ungelesener Beitragvon Volker Lannert » 03.02.2006, 13:25

Wo hast Du den Artikel gefunden?

tristan
Exposure Value 7

Ungelesener Beitragvon tristan » 03.02.2006, 14:41

Im Aperture Support-Forum.

ElGreco
Ungelesener Beitragvon ElGreco » 07.02.2006, 22:16

Ein sehr erfreulicher Beitrag. Dem Artikel kann man entnehmen, dass Apple wirklich daran interessiert ist, eine gut funktionierende Lösung für Profis und Semi-Profis zu entwickeln. Ich hoffe nur, dass der angestrebte Quantensprung nicht erst kostenpflichtig mit der Version 2 kommen wird.

Interessant wäre natürlich auch, wann die Verbesserungen implementiert werden. Denn ich nehme an, dass die Entwickler noch alle Hände voll mit der Intel-Version von Aperture zu tun haben. Da die Software sehr hardwarenah auf unterschiedliche Grafikkarten optimiert zu sein scheint, wird die Intel-Anpassung sicher nicht "an einem Tag" erledigt sein, wie Apple dies für alle modernen Cocoa-Anwendungen angepriesen hatte. :roll:

Viele Grüße,
ElGreco

Roschtatoschta
Exposure Value 6

Ungelesener Beitragvon Roschtatoschta » 08.02.2006, 07:28

Ich denke auch, dass wir nicht unbedingt in nächster Zeit mit grandiosen Verbsserungen zu rechnen haben. Der Intel-Switch wird wirklich sehr viele Ressourcen bei der Aperture-Abteilung binden und die Auswertung der eingeschickten Bilder und Verbesserung der Algorithmen ist ja auch erst gerade ins Laufen gekommen.

Aber ich lasse mich gerne eines besseren bekehren. ;-)

Bye,

Carsten

Zurück zu „Aperture News“